Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Produsage and my life

While I had never heard of the term produsage before reading this book, I think that it has played a part in my life for some time now. I am not crazy about this term- I can see why the concept is called produsage, but I think it still sounds like a maufactured term, which is what the concept is trying to steer clear of, I think.

When reading this week's journal question, I immediately thought of my experiences as an online student at FSU. Students are invloved in open participation and communal evaluation on the discussion boards. While we are guided by our professors, students are still given plenty of freedom, maybe not as much as an ad hoc meritocracy, but close. Blackboard creates a forum for students to contribute ideas to the course community, but we also receive recognition for our individual posts and ideas.

My experience at FSU is the best example I can think of that invloves produsage.

2 comments:

  1. I'm sort of in the same boat as you, Kendall. It's hard to think of clear produsage experiences in my life that seem to fit the 'definition.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the concept of produsage is about collaborative creation and extension of information and knowledge, the role of both instructor and students might be the producer and consumer of the content. For application of Bb, let us think about how we can create the learning setting where students would engage and put meaningful participation.

    ReplyDelete