Friday, July 24, 2009

StumbleUpon, Technorati & Citeulike

Tonight I visited the sites Dr. Dennen recommended this week. Maybe I should have paced myself, but now I feel like I have information overload. Has anyone seen the commercials for bing.com?

I think each of these sites has something to offer, but I couldn't get over how many links and ads were on each site. Citeulike seems like a good website, one that I will visit in the future when writing papers or doing other schoolwork. Technorati and StumbleUpon were a little more intimidating- I was amazed at how much information was available on each site. I would click on one link and would be taken to the video/picture/blog, only to see links for more information that had similar keywords. By the time I was done browsing on technorati, I had moved so far from the link I originally clicked on.

3 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when the 'whole internet' was available to new compute users. People found themselves looking online to research, say, the migration patterns of wild horses, and ended up reading about gambling patterns in urban Japan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Kendall, I'm right there with ya. I mentioned this in a blog post, but I attended a social bookmarking class last week and Joe covered citeulike for all of 30 seconds, because he thought the Bb scholar tool was a better tool. He also compared Delicious, that seemed to be a little more like Bb scholar.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kendall,
    Rather than stumbling through StumbleUpon's web site, I'd recommend getting the toolbar and just stumbling through the web. You should be able to set your stumble filters from the bar as well.
    I don't use it as much anymore but it's a delightful filler for when you are bored and have nothing better to do.
    I've got my filter set to humour, photography, writing and film noir...

    ReplyDelete