Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The use of a wiki in my desired work environment

My only experiences with wikis have been in my course work here at FSU. Using these experiences in order to answer this week's journal question, I think that the wiki could have a positive effect in the work environment. As a newcomer, I would appreciate having a discussion board of sorts to bounce off ideas and questions that I might have about my job. I think more expereinced designers could act as mentors, without having to dedicate much time during the workday. I realize that there would still be a level of "office ettiquette" that would need to be maintained on the wiki, but I think that could be managed with a little guidance.

If management were to implement the wiki, there would need to be an understanding by adminstrators of the site that the wiki is not a heirarchy. Their roles would be to interefere are little as possible in order to keep a traditional wiki environment. As long as the posts were appropriate, they should be allowed to stay up on the site and neutrality is very important.

A user-initiated site would have similar obstacles, but I think that an additional hurdle would be the struggle of using authority when it is necessary. In the office, there might be an established hierarchy, but on the wiki there would not be one. However, if there were issues on the wiki, one or several people would need to make decisions about how to handle the problem. This could get tricky if co-workers are maintaining the site.

No comments:

Post a Comment